8.27.2008

How to Handle...Anything


So Sunday I learned some news. Not very good news and was a little bit upset. Okay maybe a lot upset. So after dealing with my feelings, my mom and I headed to the grocery store to pick up three pints of Haagen-Daaz and Haagen Daaz vanilla/chocolate ice cream bars and sorbet bars. This happens to be after I went and had Johnny Carino's chocolate cake (still some of my favorite) earlier in the day. So the emotional eating continues Monday with Mexican food and a bit of ice cream. Tuesday was the motherload of over indulging because at work the hospital "appreciated" the employees with dutch oven food. I am a sucker for the dutch oven goods. I had a few bites of cheesy potatoes and then two helpings of cobbler! TWO HELPINGS! oh my goodness, I think I'm eating for a small country. Then on my lunch break as I was searching through the food storage from pre-millenium hysteria, I found funfetti cake mix and RAINBOW CHIP FROSTING!!!! So after work, and hitting the gym (double time) I made the cake, but held the oil and substituted it for coconut pudding. This was a risk...that turned out to be quite delicious. THe sad part of this cake story is that I put it in a bundt form, and it didn't stay in that form, so I plopped it into a tupperware, heated up my frosting and drizzled, okay lets be honest, I drenched it in frosting. I only made the cake because I was going to visit two of my friends (male) and knew they would be more than happy to help me eat my creation (sans judgement). It hit the spot. Now for today. I came home for lunch and my mom had picked up food from my favorite bakery in Idaho Falls. It is the place that I make her get my birthday cake from almost every year. They also happen to have delicious lemon bars and to die for ultimate brownies (brownie with walnuts, coconut yum layer, melted marshmellows and topped with chocolate frosting. They are quite possibly one of my favorite treat items. So I ate half, and had a bite of a lemon bar and saved the other half for when I got home from work. In my defense I had salad for lunch and dinner, and only snacked on a bit of light popcorn during Bill Clinton's speech (that man sure has charisma and could probably talk me into voting for a pile of dirt). And then, around 815 tonight my mom asks if there is still an Iceberg in Idaho Falls. Sadly there is not, but Dairy Queen is only a few blocks away! So I peer pressured her into going and we shared a chocolate turtle cashew blizzard. It was really good. But never fear, I am on my way to the gym in mere moments. So what has all of this increased sugar intake done for me... made me happy. This is no joke. I was sitting at my desk at work today, happy, smiley and realized it wasn't because I stayed up too late and was delirious...no, I am in a sugar euphoria and I feel great about it! So next time life gives you lemons, turn them into lemon bars!

-m

No comments: