6.04.2008

La Alhambra

So one of the stops on my whirlwind tour of Spain was La Alhambra in Granada. It is located in the Southern region of Andalucia. It was amazing. Absolutely beautiful. The Alhambra is a fortress of three palaces that was originally constructed by the Moors in the mid- 1300's. It is definitely a must see. Even Washington Irving was inspired by the fortress to write his influential The Tales of the Alhambra. While it is beautiful from the outside, it was constructed to be beautiful from the inside out. A recent addition (still more than a hundred years ago) were the gardens. They were perfectly manicured and quite magnificent. In addition, the view of the old section of Granada and the surrounding areas was fantastic on its own. We were lucky to get to view La Alhambra at night from across the ravine on the way to our flamenco show. I wish I could have spent more time in this amazing structure, but unfortunately my stomach wanted to eat, so we had to move along. This is one place I recommend.





1 comment:

Mary Staples said...

That picture of you is DARLING. Totally classy. I just love it.